Communication Signal Design Lab
Yonsei University, Seoul, KOREA
Click this for Introduction in Korean
- 2018. 8. Prof. Song is now thinking of ways to contribute to earth environment and weather problems. See this news media, titled "Plastic Ocean"
- 2018. 3.12. Lab has moved into C434 and Professor has moved to C422.
- 2018. 1.17~19. KICS winter conference at High 1 resort
- 2018. 1.6. Members of the lab for 2018 have been finalized. Three new members are joined, and we had a party altogether in my house:
- 2017. 11.03. Prof. Song was elected as one of three VICE PRESIDENTs of KICS for the year 2018.
- 2017. 10.27-29. KMS conference. with the chair of KMS. Prof. Song was awarded a contribution award from Korean Mathematical Society for his contribution to the history of Korean Mathematics. He has put a serious effort of making an old Korean mathematician SJ Choi (~1710) officially mentioned in "CRC Combinatorial Design" edited by C. Colbourn and Z. Dinitz 2007. Choi had studied "magic squares" and their construction using some pair of orthogonal latin squares, and wrote a book showing this pair of order 9, which is confirmed to be at least 60 years earlier than those by L. Euler. It had been considered as Euler's original contribution and the very first kind in the history of mathematics.
Click this for an invited talk at SNU in 2011
Click this for the slides of an invited talk in 2013
- 2017. 09.24-29. IWSDA, Sapporo, Japan. with Gang San, Inseon and Min Kyu.
- 2017. 08.25. Commencement of three new PHDs. Miyoung, Jeongheon, and Jinsoo.
- 2017. 06.25-30. IEEE International
Symposium on Information Theory, Aachen, Germany. with Min Kyu and Inseon.
- 2017. 04.26-28. Prof. Hong-Yeop Song
was the OC Chair of the 27th JCCI at Busan, Korea. (JCCI=Joint Conference
on Communications and Information)
- 2017. 02. 15. Tutorial talk at Interdigital,
San diego, CA
- 2017. 02. 13. ITA session in memory of Sol.
Golomb at San Diego, CA
- 2017. 01. 31. Celebration of Life and
Legacy of Sol. Golomb at USC
my presentation in memory of Professor Golomb
- 2017. 01. 18. KICS winter workshop at JeongSeon, High1 ski resort.
- 2017. 01. 11. ICEIC 2017 at Phuket,
- 2017. 01. 01. Change the rule of
supporting grad students. Full support of registration for everybody in
Just send your transcript to email@example.com
anytime for query.
- 2016. 11. 26. Home-coming
day begins at 3PM by two talks in the lab.
- 2016. 11. 19. Prof. Song
has received Best Academic Excellence Award presented by LG in
2016 KICS Fall Meeting, Seoul, Korea.
- 2016. 11. 02. Jung-Hyun Kim
has received Best Student Paper Award in 2016 ISITA, Monterey, CA,
- 2016. 10. 10. Prof. Song
gives a talk in a Session in Memory of Prof. Solomon W. Golomb in 2016 SETA, Chengdu, China.
- 2016. 07. 14. Prof. Song is
recognized as a Co-organizer of 2015 IEEE Information Theory workshop
in 2016 ISIT, Barcellona, Spain.
- 2016. 06. 22. Prof. Song
gives a talk on "20 years of Coding and Information Theory Society
in KICS" in a Shannon Centennial Workshop, Jeju, Korea.
- 2016. 05. 01. Prof.
Solomon W. Golomb has passed away in the
morning. A great shock... See
Click this for photo album at
Hong-Yeop Song (Curriculum Vitae)
Professor, Electrical and
Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University
Visiting Professor, University of Waterloo, Waterloo,
(host: Prof. G. Gong)
Senior Engineer, Qualcomm
Inc., San Diego, California
Post-Doc Research Associate, Communication
Science Institute at USC
- 1991.12: PHD
at USC, Dept of EE-Systems (Advisor:
Prof. Solomon W. Golomb)
- 1986.5: MSEE
at USC, Dept of EE-Systems
- 1984.2: BS
Eng. at Yonsei University, Dept
"Channel Coding, Sequences and Signal Designs"
- We would like to formulate mathematical models of
important and frequently asked PROBLEMS in communications and signal
processing, and try to understand their fundamental nature.
- Specifically, interested in various codes and PN
sequences; Error-correcting codes, orthogonal PN codes, Spread-spectrum
Frequency-hopping codes, Radar and Sonar pulse codes, Network codes, and
the like. These are the topic of my research for the past 25 years or so.
- published over 100 techincal papers, presentations, book chapters,
etc., and all these can be found here.
Google Scholar - Citations
Microsoft Academic Search
Society - MathSciNet Publication List
Computer Science Bibliography
IEEE Journals: 22
Non-IEEE Journals: 30
Book Editing: 4
Book Translation into Korean: 3
IEEE Conferences: 39
Non-IEEE Conferences: 47
Invited talks: 3
Domestic Journals: 52
Domestic Conferences: 125
- served 2015 IEEE Information
Theory Workshop, Jeju, Korea, as a general
co-chair with Prof. G. Caire, and have been
the chair of IEEE Information Theory Society Seoul Chapter for more
than 6 years. See this page for more activities.
- 8 PHD's and 41 MS in EE at Yonsei University. LIST of graduates
- served Dept of Electical and Electronic Engineering, Yonsei University, as Chair from 2010 to 2011
that has 59 faculty members and about 1500 students (both undergrad and
- served 2015 IEEE Information Theory Workshop as a general
co-chair in Jeju, Korea
- various invited talks, of these,
the one from the society of Korean mathematics history in 2013 is
for the contribution of recognizing S.-J. Choi on his discovery of 9x9
pair of orthogonal latin
squares at least 60 years earlier than L. Euler. See
the presentation in Korean. It was also given in AMS-KMS
joint workshop in 2008 in english.
Funded Research Projects
Engineering Development Projects (Selected)
Security of GNSS Signals(AGENCY FOR
DEFENCE DEV, 2013-2018)
Military Networks (AGENCY FOR DEFENCE DEV, 2013-2018)
Low-Density Codes overBinary
Erasure Channels (ETRI, 2008)
Efficiently Encoded LDPC Codes (SAMSUNG
Analysis and Design ofChannel
Codes for DVD (LG ELECTRONICS, 2001)
Design of Frequency-HoppingCodes
(AGENCY FOR DEFENCE DEV, 2002-2004)
Waveform Design for FHCommunication
(SAMSUNG THALES, 2003-2004)
Design of RS Codec forDVCR
(SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS, 1999-2000)
Pure Research Projects (Selected)
Key technology for 5G/IoT - channel coding (IITP, 2016-2019)
Reliable Storage codes for Cloud (NRF, 2013-2016)
Network Coding and related area (NRF, 2009-2011)
Design and Analysis of Boolean Functions for OptimalAlgebraic Immunity (KIISC, 2008)
Sequences for Communication and Cryptography
Study on Poly-phase Power Residue Sequences
Hamming Correlation of De Bruijn
Sequences (KRF, 1999-2000)
Theory and Application of Binary-Mapped RS Codes
Cyclic Hadamard Matrices and their Applications
Binary Sequences with Ideal Autocorrelation
Look again at that dot.
That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you
know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out
their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident
religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every
hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and
peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child,
inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every
"superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner
in the history of our species lived there; on a mote of dust suspended in a